Sunday, July 8, 2012

Take a walk with me...

Why, hello there! Do you fancy taking a walk? I'd love it if you would join me. I'd like to tell you something while we stroll along...
You know... I love photography. Quite obvious, yes, but I really do, for a lot of different reasons. It is about capturing the moment: that one perfect smile, that stunning view at sunset, especially when there's a huge chance you'll never get to capture it again! There is so much beauty around us and the art of photography helps me see and experience it every moment of every day. Places I used to walk past without noticing the beautiful flowers, the charm of a rusty old door, the magic of a spiderweb in a keyhole. I am so grateful for that, it really feels as a gift. 

  

  
It's about waiting, holding back and being patient. I like taking portraits when people don't notice me. It's when they're pure and at ease that I like them best. In Asia I usually asked people if it would be ok to take a photograph, then I took a few, but the shots I loved the most were those taken after, when they had forgotten about me and went on with their lives. 



It's about creating a world of my own. When I'm back home after a shoot and I sit behind my computer (with a considerate amount of coffee), I go through the photos and check them for a lot of things: sharpness, composition, lighting, but most of all I check them for a certain 'feel'. It can be anything really. I love to add a little magic to my images. It's just the way I like to see the world! I did a series based on Red Riding Hoods trip through the magic forest on her way to grandma, where I could really let myself go to create magic! I loved that!



But most of all I love it because photographs are tangible memories. I thrive on memories and dreams. So many wonderful moments, such fantastic travels and amazing places that we've seen and so many that still have to come... I can hardly wait! When I look back at the many, many photographs (thousands!) I've taken over the years, I feel so lucky.  

   


The photographs I shared in this post were all taken over the past few weeks and all in the south of Holland, most even within a one mile radius from our home. It's so easy to forget sometimes, but we are all surrounded by beauty. Nature is magical in itself! I love how our son likes to hug trees...




I cherish the wonderful moments we share with good friends and lovely food.



And keep trying to find magic in everyday life.




Where do you find magic? Where do you dream about? And do you stop to smell the roses often enough? Please let me know. I'd love to hear from you :)

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely stroll that was! My photographic modus operandi is similar to yours; I relish finding little treasures in the nooks and crannies of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! Oh, I can imagine that! You live in such a gorgeous area, I bet there are many treasures just waiting to be found! :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the images you shared here. Such fabulous photography. I actually find myself doing abrupt stops whenever I'm out. Often my friend will get a good distance away before she even notices I've stopped to admire something. I notice those fat little birds bopping around parking lots, pretty flowers planted near the road side. I often lose track of time or my mission to get where I was heading just evaporates from my mind whenever something catches my interest.

    I also find magic in my back yard. We have a huge yard (compared to the house I grew up in) and I prefer to take pictures of my jewelry and handmade items on the rock stairs back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Haha, I do that too! My husband thinks it's pretty annoying ;) It happens so often he started talking to me, only to find I've wandered off again!
      Oh, it must be so wonderful to have a huge back yard! I secretly dream of having one, we only have a tiny balcony!

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful photos, a lovely blog post. I really relate when you say your create your own world. You seem to capture so well the magic of this world through your photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a sweet thing to say, Heidi! I'm happy you like them :)

      Delete
  4. Stunning images! I agree there is beauty everywhere, if we just take the time to stop and look. A lot of my more recent work has also been done in my own (big) yard or very close to home. It is always fun to look at things with a fresh eye as if for the first time...so revealing! Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos! What a treat!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely, Keri! You're so very welcome! It is wonderful to see how much beauty there really is right on front of you! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for inviting us on such a lovely walk. Your photography is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Kristin! I'm so happy you liked it :)

      Delete