Wednesday, July 25, 2012

India!






India. They say you either love it or you hate it. We went to Delhi, Jaipur, Agra and Varanasi (and to Nepal from there) 5 years ago and we've been dreaming of going back ever since. We've been to other countries in Asia and absolutely loved it, but there's just nothing that can compare with the overwhelming, all-embracing, otherworldly, incomprehensible experience that is called India. And finally we're going back! Well, in January that is, so we have to wait for a bit, but still...  YAY! It is such a wonderful feeling, I could dance all day!

Over the past weeks I've been checking out possible routes to follow, places to visit, train schedules and so on. This time we'll be visiting the south of India, the states Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The south is a whole lot more relaxed and less crowded than the north and since there are three of us now, we've decided to take it slow! Our little boy is all kinds of excited and wants to see the elephants!

And of course I just had to dig up all the old photos I had from India. Believe me, that took some time! My computer crashed a few years ago and I lost some files, got some back after a while and now they're scattered all over the place. Let's just say my computer could do with a clean up, which I now have done ;)
I really enjoyed looking through these pictures, reliving all the wonderful adventures :)










The holy city of Varanasi (aka Benares) is by far the most beautiful place I've ever seen (and possibly the oldest living city on earth)! Watching life, death and religion go together hand in hand from the sacred Ganges river was an amazing experience..



I miss the hustle and bustle and the complete craziness on the streets. Traffic in India is like nothing you've ever seen! Everybody is honking and it seems there are no rules in traffic whatsoever! To us it seemed the biggest vehicle or the loudest one got to go first. And of course the holy cow is king on the streets. Everywhere they go, drivers go out of the way! I can't wait to get in a tuktuk again!
I even miss the famous Indian head-wobble. It can mean 'yes', 'maybe' or even 'no' and you just have to trust your feeling when asking to take pictures of people!  























India is a world of contradictions. It breathes magic and its beauty is overpowering. India has it all: from the snowy tops of the Himalaya, to the lush green tea plantations, the vast plains, palm beaches, holy cities, sacred rivers, fantastic wildlife... But it has its downsides too. There is extreme poverty, pollution, corruption and so on... We'll be on the look out for schools and orphanages we can provide with books and other things they might need, which we will buy there to stimulate the local economy.  


Do you have a favourite place in the world? It doesn't have to be a specific country or even far away! It could be your own back yard! A place that makes your heart leap when you think of it? Please tell me, I'd love to hear it! xxx







7 comments:

  1. Great blog post, i dream of going to india, it looks amazing like your photos.
    I think my favourite place is actually not to far from me its called Mudeford standpit, its a spit of thin land that is lined with beach huts and sea either side, a very unique place with wonderful huts varying in colours, its such a magical place. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've seen it in your photos (and your little film I think!), it looks wonderful!! Bet they would make an awesome studio! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, you must be excited. I am sure you will enjoy your trip and will share it with us later. It is difficult to say which place would be my fvourite, I loved many places i visited, but when i think about it, I love my home town of Prague with its historical and modern feeling, magicla little streets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sure am, Katerina! :) Oh, how wonderful to be able to call Prague your home town! I've only been there once on a school trip long ago, but I remember how beautiful it was! Gorgeous old buildings and a very magical feel indeed! x

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to see all your new pics you will take. Especially with all the colours there!! And such a great idea about the books! <3
    My favourite place is Dingle, Ireland, it's by the sea, it has a beautiful harbour, the best icecream in the world, and they have their own dolphin :-D
    A close second is the Isle of Skye, Scotland, and then of course our very own Maastricht :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, lovely!! I'm sooo excited, can hardly wait to step into that plane! Oh, Dingle sounds absolutely wonderful! And so does the Isle of Sky, I've heard great stories about that place! And well, Maastricht is just the most amazing city in the Netherlands, right? :D xx

      Delete